Wednesday, February 6, 2013

So Big (And by the way...)

Now you listen here, little missy! SOMEONE has plenty more opportunity to do HER reading- In the car, while I"M driving, ... Uh... OTHER times that have now slipped my mind. Yea. That'll show ya. Besides, I'm the one who's trying to do the writing, as well. Very muchly harder, I assure you indeed. :)

Picked up "So Big" the other day, and I've been reading it on some of my breaks at work. So far, it doesn't really stand out as being phenomenal, but it is enjoyable. Sort of gives a glimpse into daily life in the 1920s as well as the late 1800s, when the book is set. By that, I mean that there's one scene in the book that so far is really noteworthy and a little humorous given the morally ambiguous state of things these days. (No, I'm not going to give anything away... You'll see what I mean in a minute.) The main character is a 19-year old schoolteacher who has a "grand adventure" among the Dutch settlers of a small farming community. She gets married with the usual literary pomp and circumstance, but then... The wedding night approaches... (Mind you, this novel reads up to this point like a romance...) And she slips into her (long-sleeved) nightgown... Crawls into his (their) bed... Hears him clomping in from the fields...

And that's it.

They wake up the next morning, and like two paragraphs later, she's pregnant.

Hrmph.

See what I mean about giving something away? There wasn't anything to give away! What the heck? No smooch? No "Good evening wife, 'bow-chicka-bow-wow!' How was YOUR day?"

Nope. I suppose that's 1924 for you. So, digging was in order. OFF TO WIKIPEDIA!!

Did you know that once upon a time, a book was put on trial? (1) Sort of shows the depths of censorship, huh? Oh, well. It's a good book, and I'm enjoying it, even if it is a nearly 100-year old romance with nary a steamy scene in sight. Again I say, Hrmph.





(1)"Fanny Hill", written by John Cleland c. 1760, was judged to be obscene in a proceeding that put the book itself on trial rather than its publisher.


No comments:

Post a Comment