Sunday, February 10, 2013

Speeding through Half-Broke Horses

I was very impressed with the speed with which Donny read the last book. Honey, I can't recall him ever reading something that fast before.  It must have been a one time thing, whereas I have done it frequently. I must be a much better reader than him. ;)

I just finished Half-Broke Horses by Jeannette Walls, reading in only 3 days. (Pre-baby it would have been sun-up to sun-down done in a day, mind you.)

Half-Broke Horses is the story of Jeannette's grandmother, Lily Casey Smith, told from Lily's point of view.  Jeannette told as much of the story as she could with facts, but remembering her grandmother's voice, told it the way she imagined Lily would have told it.  Telling the story from her grandmother's point of view allowed Jeannette to use the same blunt truth that so captivated me as I read The Glass Castle, her own memoir.  If you have read The Glass Castle, I am sure that you will love Half-Broke Horses as well. If you haven't read either one, try them.  They both have earned a place on my top 100 list.


No comments:

Post a Comment