Wednesday, February 27, 2013

Speed Reading The Hunger Games

A few years ago I was handed a copy of the Hunger Games, and out of curiosity for the newest fad I started to read it.  I was so enthralled with the story, and curious as to how Katniss would survive the games, I just couldn't put it down. 

The Hunger Games is a scary look at what could happen if a government has too much control and wants to keep the public under submission through fear.  The residents of Panem- the new nation in North America must submit 2 children between the ages of 12-18 from their region each year to the Hunger Games, a death-match that is televised, and the last child standing is determined the winner.  

(Don't knock me for spoiling the ending, there are three books in the series, do you really think she would kill off her hero in the first book?)

I enjoyed the book so much I tried to borrow the next book from a "friend" on my e-reader, but no one was willing to share.  

Skip forward a few years to last month, when my brother-in-law shared his books with me.  I picked up the second book in the series, and just could not put it down.  There were several nights that I only got a few hours of sleep between the baby getting up early and not being able to put the book down until well after 12.  

I am trying to be patient and wait until this summer to read the last book in the series, but don't know that I can wait that long to hear about what happens next in Panem.  Unlike my loving hubby who thinks it's OK to leave the last book in the series so that the story will last longer, I just have to have the situation resolve.  I mean, how fair is it to the citizens of Panem that I am even making them wait until this summer for their freedom (cause I am pretty sure that is what's going to happen!)

Now listen here Donald Everett, I think you better go help Frodo and all his friends save the world, stop making them sit in limbo, I think several years have been enough.


1 comment: