Tuesday, January 29, 2013

Defending Jacob and Defending my reading

Alongside the large list of books that I am trying to read ahead of Don, I am also reading selections for a monthly book club.  Our February selection is Defending Jacob by William Landay.  I downloaded it early to my e-reader so that I could have time to read it before our meeting, but I just couldn't put it down, and finished it in 3 days.

Defending Jacob is the story of Andy Barber, an ADA in a small town.  The town is rocked by the murder of 14 year old Ben on his way to school.  Andy takes on the case, until his own son, Jacob, is charged with the murder.  I had to keep reading, I needed to know if Jacob actually committed this crime.  I can't tell you, you will have to read and figure out for yourself!

Now, about the drama surrounding the fact that I am reading The Lord of the Rings.  No, I don't care for the book, but I don't think Don understands why.  I have enjoyed other science-fiction and fantasy books (Harry Potter, Twilight, Ender's Game).  The big difference: Humans.  Where are the humans in The Lord of the Rings?  Where in my daily life am I going to stumble upon Hobbits and Elves and Dwarves?  I like to get lost in my books, being side-by-side with the characters, but in these imaginary lands, there is no place for me.  

So, no, I don't HATE the book, but I am having a hard time connecting with the characters, and that my dear love, is why I am not ENJOYING this book as much as everyone thought.  

Now you, talk about hating books, what about The Hours?  I enjoyed that one.  Beloved?  I am looking forward to it too.  Who  is the one who hates books? Hmmmmm?





No comments:

Post a Comment